Monday, July 18, 2011

Should I quit my intern/job?

I interned at a place 3 months ago ,and everything started to go decently for the first 2 months. The main thing they taught me was data administration work and started me at $9 an hour which is just ok for a person like me with my qualifications. Anyways, I own my own website design business ,and 3 months + go by ,and my boss still considers me an intern. First of all, I use to have this great computer that was a fast computer that I could get my job done pretty quick. I type 95 wpm. So they remove this great computer ,and instead give me a 10 year old computer in which it's very hard to do my own work. My main contribution to the company was learning in my intern ,but 3 weeks before he makes a decision (my boss) whether to keep me or not he slams me with all of this work that involves learning a complete different piece of software ,and expects me to adapt. I adapt as fast as possible ,and constantly get lectures and whined at for making "mistakes." First of all, I developed the company intranet ,and have done Data Administration work ,and type 95 wpm in which they have not given me credit. He gives me a piece of software literally 2 days after hiring me ,and expects me to learn it ,and gets pissed because I made "mistakes" which is inevitable for a first time user on a certain software. And when I try to impress he shuts down my ideas or gets upset ,and then sometimes he even decides he likes them. It's about 2 weeks since I graduated ,and I am beginning to question whether my job is really worth it. Since then I have moved in which it takes me a 45 minute drive to go to work + traffic. So literally I am making $60 for 10 hours of my time which is poor I literally view this as working at McDonald's ,and driving so far to work there ,but this isn't the case. They are paying me to use my freaking brain ,and I am not getting respected for it. It's just I have so much anxiety from my whiny boss who can't stand "mistakes" even if they are minimal very very minimal ,and just because I am a person of great integrity have I stayed because I want to display true value to the company. However, they took away my good computer, they are giving me tasks I never was even taught ,and I ask for a job description and he responds that "until you don't make mistakes, your still an intern" so what the hell am I doing here? I've lost all my passion for working for this company ,and I just care about the paycheck I get every week. I literally don't care anymore. No respect, $9 an hour, computer taken for a crappy one, and I have done so much. He gives me some accounting problems today ,and I insert the data exactly as it is ,and it ends up being wrong. It was a compatibility issue that messed up my data because of the old piece of crap computer! Jobs are so hard to get especially at my age ,but I have raw talent. I've had big businessmen call me a genius because they know what I do. However, this boss I can't stand. What do you think? Should I quit it or look for a job while I work there? It's just so hard to find a job ,and I'm stuck at a first job that could ruin my resume because of a bad boss...

No comments:

Post a Comment